On Sunday, December 16, 2001, at 04:11 PM, James Kass wrote:

> Curtis Clark wrote,
>>
>> 1. Does any currently and commonly available word processing software
>> access Plane One, for either entry or display?
>>

> Don't know about word processors, but Notepad which ships with
> Windows 2000 works with Plane One.

Any Cocoa- or ATSUI-based application on Mac OS X will also work with
astral characters, including the mail client and text-editing program that
come with the OS.

>> 2. How can I encode glyphs into Plane One? Is Fontlab 3 sufficient (I'm
>> assuming in any case that I'll have to change something by hand).
>>

> The latest version of Fontlab (just released) might enable non-BMP
> font construction, but I've not yet seen the documentation.
> Otherwise, as far as I know no font editor supports anything
> beyond U+FFFF.  So, it needs to be done by hand according to the
> OpenType specifications for the "cmap" table.

Slight correction.  The *TrueType* spec for the 'cmap' table, not the
OpenType one.  Apple supports the new 'cmap' formats as well, and the
'cmap' spec is part of TrueType shared by OpenType and AAT.

Meanwhile, people on the Mac can use Apple's DumperFuser tool available at
<http://developer.apple.com/fonts/Tools/index.html> to put astral cmaps
into their fonts.

John H. Jenkins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]