Falkor wrote:

> Like 'em or hate 'em, those " :) " are here to stay.  ...and there's at

Probably, although the more people from outside the computer-tech world join in, the
smaller percentage of people will use these, like my mother-in-law...

They are already encoded in Unicode, using two or more Unicode characters... using a
colon and a closing parenthesis (I personally prefer the version with a "dash" nose)
is all you need. There are a couple of "real" smileys too, but some modern emailers
actually recognize the regular form and display an image.
If you replace the multi-character form, then you will break old software without much
benefit.

markus

PS: ... and at the end of the day, Unicode is a _text_ encoding standard ... :-)