On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Markus Scherer wrote:

> Chookij Vanatham wrote:
>
> > UTR#14:Line Breaking says that, "Interpretation of line breaking properties
> > in bidirectional text takes place before applying rule L1 of the Unicode
> > Bidirectional Algorithm....".
> >
> > UTR#9:Bidirectional says that, [at the Reordering Resolved Levels section],
> > "As opposed to resolution phases, this algorithm "Reordering Resolved Levels",
> > acts on a per-line basis, and is applied after any line wrapping ...."
>

> You can work on the paragraph-level Bidi resolution in parallel with (i.e., in any
>order relative to) figuring out line breaks.
>
> Then you run line-level Bidi resolution/reordering.
>
> For soft line breaks you will need to iterate through several line breaks and
>reorderings until your glyph vector fits.
>

> markus

                                               Monday,March 25, 2002
I'd like to ask a a related but more general question.  If a line break in
a paragraph coincides with a space between RTL and LTR text (or LTR and RTL)
does the new line always begin at the margin appropiriate to the new line?
In other words does a line always begin at one margin or the other where a
reader's eye would expect it to?

     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
     "It is not true that people stop pursuing their dreams because they
grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing their dreams." Adapted
from a letter by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
     Addresses: Office: Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US
mail: I.T.S. Sys.Dev.Gp.4, Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE,
Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.
Home: Phone: 301 946-7326; US mail: Box 291, Garrett Park, MD 20896.