Hello Unicadets:

Recently the W3C's Internationalization Work Group completed its rechartering. As a
result, two new task forces were created to augment the existing "core" activity (of
creating and reviewing internationalization issues in standards for the Web). One of
these is the Web Services Task Force, whose focus will be on creating and influencing
standards related to the area of Web services and the protocols, locales, and data
structures related to these. I'm writing to you as the chair of the new task force to
ask for your participation.

This is your chance to become involved and actually do something about globalization
issues that affect all of us. As with any activity there are different levels of
involvement, but it is most rewarding if we have many participants at the highest
level of involvement.

As a member of the Unicode community, you are already interested in globalization
issues. This task force has the opportunity, for good or ill, to influence how the
next generation of Internet technologies implement languages, encodings, locales, and
data structures support users worldwide. It will have the opportunity to set "the
rules" for things such as language tagging, locale interchange, or preference
indication on the Web.

Standards organizations like W3C can provide the opportunity to do something about
problems that you encounter every day. However, a task force is not some mythic body
composed of annointed experts. This task force needs you to consider contributing time
and effort in order to be successful. I urge each of you to review the different
levels of activity listed below and consider participating.

For more information, see http://www.w3.org/International/ws.

1. WG Membership. If you work for a W3C member organization (see [1] below for a list)
it is quite easy to become a member of the Working Group. This does represent a
commitment on your part (to participate in teleconferences, group activities, and
meetings, as well as to contribute to the overall effort of the group), but carries
with it the greatest involvement and reward.

As with anything, the greatest level of commitment brings with it the greatest reward.
You will have full access to and full participation in all of the WS related
activities of this task force. Not to mention the recognition of your peers and
colleagues.

2. IG Membership. If you feel unable to make a commitment to the task force, but are
interested in our activities and you work for a W3C member organization, you can still
participate on a relatively high level by joining the Interest Group. IG members will
have access to and the opportunity to participate in some of the activities of the
main task force without the commitment of any particular amount of time or effort. I
strongly urge you to consider WG membership if you have at least some time to commit
to this effort, but IG members will have an opportunity to contribute too.

3. Public Membership. Anyone can join our public mailing list ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
where the majority of technical discussion will take place. In addition, we will be
asking for public contribution of use cases and other materials to support our task
force's activities. While you won't have access to or a direct voice in the decisions
and direction of the task force, your voice will be heard and you will have a chance
to help make the TF a success.

We will consider a few applications to be "invited experts" (that is, people who do
not work for W3 member organizations) for WG membership, provided you can commit the
time and effort. This kind of membership is limited because of the way that the W3C
works. If you are interested in this type of involvement, I do urge you to contact us.

To find out details about this opportunity and details on how to join at any of these
levels of involvement, you should check our how public page here:
http://www.w3.org/International/ws

Best Regards,

Addison

[1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
webMethods, Inc.

+1 408.962.5487 (phone)  +1 408.210.3569 (mobile)
It is not a feature.

Chair, W3C-I18N-WG Web Services Task Force
To participate see http://www.w3.org/International/ws