From: "Joseph Boyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Type Encoding Comment
> .txt UTF-8BOM We want plain text files to have BOM to distinguish
> from legacy codepage files

Not really required, but optional -- the perfomance hit of making sure its
valid UTF-8 is pretty minor. But people do open some *huge* text files in
things like notepad....

> .xml UTF-8N Some XML processors may not cope with BOM

Maybe they need to upgrade? Since people often edit the files in notepad,
many files are going to have it. A parser that cannot accept this reality is
not going to make it very long.

> .htm UTF-8 We want HTML to be UTF-8 but will not insist on BOM

Same as text, with the bonus of the possiblity of a higher lever protocol.
It can still go either way.

> .rc Codepage Unfortunately compiler insists on these being
> codepage.

They can be UTF-16, too (at least on Win32!).

> .swt ASCII Nonlocalizable internal format, must be ASCII.

Haven't run across these -- but note that  if its not UTF-8 then it does not
apply....