WatchThatPage notified me this morning that the "Proposed New
Characters" table at http://www.unicode.org/unicode/alloc/Pipeline.html
has been updated, to include characters and scripts discussed and
accepted during the UTC meeting.

However, the dates of the new items are in the format dd-mmm-yy, as in
"07-Nov-02," whereas previous entries had been in the quasi-ISO 8601
format yy-mmm-dd, as in "02-Aug-20."  These two conflicting date formats
appear side-by-side in the table, making it appear that some characters
are scheduled to be approved in 2007 or 2020.

My suggestion: Pick a format, then -- and here's the important part --
make all the years *four digits long* so this won't happen again.  The
habit of writing 4-digit years that Y2K popularized should be continued,
because of the potential ambiguity between days and 2-digit years
(exhibited here) that will persist for the next 3 decades.

(As an additional pedantic note, the new items are marked with the date
only, without the word "Accepted" that is present for the older items.
However, as these new items all appear in the "Accepted" table the
intent should be obvious.)

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California