On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:43:48 +0000, Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin wrote:

> due to the new language law of the Russian Federation that makes
> Cyrillics compulsory for all the languages within the Federation.

That's a very controversial law, but one correction is due
nonetheless: "for all *state* languages".

Constitution says that the republics shall have the right to institute
their own state languages.  This law puts a constraint on that right.
My understanding is that if a republic wants to institute a state
language that is not written in cyrillic, the decision must be made at
a federal level.

SY, Uwe
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         |       Zu Grunde kommen