I noticed the following on the "Technical Work" page on the Unicode Web
site, at http://www.unicode.org/techwork.html:

"The Unicode Standard was the basis for the Universal Character Set,
two-octet form (UCS-2) of ISO/IEC 10646. The Unicode Standardâs 65,536
code values are the first 65,536 code values of ISO 10646."

I wonder if this passage is very old, predating the full acceptance of
the surrogate mechanism in the Unicode Standard.  I suggest this text be
revised to avoid perpetuating the common misconception that Unicode is a
16-bit-only standard, or that Unicode and ISO 10646 have different
repertoires.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/