> I have a (hopefully) short question about "polytonic" Greek support.
> Does anyone know what the idea was behind encoding Greek vowel+acute
> combinations (without apirates, etc.) twice: first in the Basic
> Greek section as vowel+tonos, for the second time in the Extended
> Greek section as vowel+oxia?

It was done essentially at the insistence of the Greek National
Body (ELOT) during the days of the formal merger of the repertoires
of Unicode 1.0 and ISO/IEC 10646-1 DIS-1 to create the merged
repertoires of Unicode 1.1 and ISO/IEC 10646-1:1993.

It was a bad idea at the time, in my opinion, and reflected a
not-fully-worked-out attempt by Greece to establish a polytonic
Greek standard, I believe.

> What is the recommended usage for
> Classical Greek (and why is it better)?

Greek base letters plus whatever combination of combining marks
is needed, as appropriate.

Better because it is a consistent approach which handles all
of polytonic Greek representation without casing problems
and other issues.

--Ken