Arcane Jill va escriure:

> And yet, in an expression such as tolower(trim(s)), the second
> validation is unnecessary. The input to tolower() /must/ be valid,
> because it is the output of trim(). But on the other hand, tolower()
> could be called with arbitrary input, so I can't skip the validation.

What is a "string" ?

If you are using C as language, this is a particularly valid question, since
the output can be larger than the input in general, so you will be resorted
to add a maximum length parameter, or allowing realloc() which means that
the strings are required to be malloc'ed on first place.

As a result, your strings are likely to be some stuctures.
Then, it is pretty easy to add some s_valid flag, and you are done.

Antoine