Linux is far less specific than Windows 10. In all recent versions of
Debian GNU/Linux, UTF-8 is the most common character encoding, but it is
still supported to use ISO-8859-x or I believe even something like EUC-JP.
Other distributions may enforce UTF-8 or in rare cases ISO 8859-1 or even
something else.