On 26 Mar 2017, at 14:32, David Starner <prosfil...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And I'd argue that a good theoretical model of the Latin script makes ä, ꞛ
>>> and aͤ the same character, distinguished only by the font.
>>
>> Fortunately for the users of our standard, we don’t do this.
>
> You've yet to come up with users to whom these Deseret letters are relevant.

You might imagine it takes time to identify problems and address them.

>> I’m fairly sure that a person citing a medieval document using aͤ may very
>> well also need to write this alongside Swedish or German using ä.
>
> I'm fairly sure that a person citing an early 20th century Germany document
> may well feel the need to cite it in Fraktur.

Fraktur is a whole-font substitition (modulo the ligatures). This is not the
same thing as an editor choosing w or ƿ. Imagine if we had unified those two.
After all, they both represent the same sound, right?

(Shudder.)

> In both cases, I believe that's going above and beyond the identity of the
> characters involved, but in your case, people do contrast the aͤ with ä, and
> the user case has been made. Show me the users who want to use these Deseret
> letters contrastingly.

Do try to be less dismissive. Firstly, *I* have published entire books in
Deseret and so I myself have a legitimate interest. In the second, Iam in fact
beginning discussions with relevant experts.

Michael Everson