Julian Wels wrote,

> Also, there was so much useless stuff added to the
> Emoji-Set, that just cannot be explained by "sales
> and marketing" alone. Charlotte Buff, for example,
> made an excellent case against the addition of
> colored squares and circles in 12.0.

Sales & Marketing can explain *anything*.  That's what they *do*.
Some marketing hotshot comes up with a bunch of cool ideas and they
try some of them out.  If any of them catch on like wildfire, swell!
But if one of them fails, it's not because it was a bum idea in the
first place, it's due to market trends.

Taking a couple of Charlotte Buff's generic concerns from earlier in
this thread while keeping Sales & Marketing in mind,

>> The ESC only approves emoji submissions if they
>> personally like them, ...

Naturally.  How marketable is something one doesn't like?

>> ... or to make themselves look vaguely more
>> progressive and open-minded than they really are ...

Of course.  In the advertising world, image is everything.

> ... So maybe Emoji encoding should be approached more
> traditionally given where we are right now.

Unicode's traditional approach has been to encode what is or what was
rather than what might be.  But the emoji are an evolving set, so they
don't fall within that tradition.  Any requests for clarification of
the evolving set of encoding practices at any stage of the evolution
seem like reasonable requests.  It's unfortunate if such requests go
unanswered.

> And I ask you all honestly: Is there no solution
> in sight, other than being ignored when submitting
> to the document registry?

Committees are somewhat political in nature.  There are two proven
ways to curry favor with a politician.  One is to become a lobbyist,
which means finding out what the subject wants and providing it.
Everybody likes cash, but we don't call it a "bribe", we call it a
"consulting fee".  The other way is to become a toady.

Since neither of those vocations seems suitable for any of us
participating in this thread, perhaps it's time to mend some fences
and/or build some bridges.