On 08/20/2018 03:12 PM, Mark Davis ☕️ via Unicode wrote:
> ... some people who would call a PUA solution either batty
> or crazy.

I don't think it is either batty or crazy. People can certainly use the PUA to interchange text (assuming that they have downloaded fonts and keyboards or some other input method beforehand), and
it
 can definitely serve as a proof of concept
. Plain symbols — with no interactions between them (like changing shape with complex scripts), no combining/non-spacing marks, no case mappings, and so on — are the best possible case for PUA.

It is kind of a bummer, though, that you can't experiment (easily? or at all?) in the PUA with scripts that have complex behavior, or even not-so-complex behavior like accents & combining marks, or RTL direction (here, also, am I speaking true?  Is there a block of RTL PUA also?  I guess there's always RLO, but meh.)  Still, maybe it doesn't really matter much: your special-purpose font can treat any codepoint any way it likes, right?

~mark