On 7/17/2019 6:03 PM, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 01:54:52 +0200
Philippe Verdy via Unicode <unicode@unicode.org> wrote:

In fact the ligatures system for the "cursive" Egyptian Hieratic is so
complex (and may also have its own variants showing its progression
from Hieroglyphs to Demotic or Old Coptic), that probably Hieratic
should no longer be considered "unified" with Hieroglyphs, and its
existing ISO 15924 code is then not represented at all in Unicode.
Writing hieroglyphic text as plain text has only been supported since
Unicode 12.0, so it may take a little while to explore workable encoding
conventions.

A significant issue is that the hieratic script is right to left but
Unicode only standardises the encoding of left-to-right
transcriptions.  I don't recall the difference between retrograde v.
normal text being declared a style difference.

Use directional overrides. Those have been in the standard forever.

A./

For comparison, we still have no guidance on how to encode sexagesimal
Mesopotamian cuneiform numbers, e.g. '610' v. '20' written using the U
graphic element.

Richard.