From: Steve Wampler
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2016 10:17 AM
To: unicon-group@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Unicon-group] return and failure

On 02/26/2016 09:01 PM, Art Eschenlauer wrote:
> I expected:
> "return \value failed"
> from the following program but instead got
> "test() failed"
> because I expected the expression
> return \value
> to fail (without returning) when value is &null.
> Why did I get the results that I got?
> What is special about the expression "return expr"?

While "return expr" could have been defined as you expected, it
was defined differently. "return" always exits the procedure
or method, producing the outcome of "expr" as the outcome of the
procedure or method call. I believe this behavior is defined
consistently across both Icon and Unicon, though I haven't looked
at the Icon book for a while. The Unicon book defines "return"s
behavior this way.

--
Steve Wampler -- swamp...@noao.edu