On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Heckendorn, Robert (hecke...@uidaho.edu) <
hecke...@uidaho.edu> wrote:

> What kind of performance difference does that make?   Why not O3?

That is a very good question that requires a "scientific" answer! I decided
to run Unicon benchmarks (run-benchmark level) and see what I get at
different optimization levels, here are the results:

Compared to the base level (no optimizations -O0) here are the net gains
for the different optimization levels:

-O1    41%
-O2    69%
-O3    73%

-O2 compared to -O1: 20%
-O3 compared to -O2: 2%

-O3 was almost identical to -O2 in all tests (few percents above or below)
There was one test (chameneos-redux, a concurrent tests) where -O2
performed
badly even worse than -O1 (compared to base: -O1 gave 35%, -O2 gave 18%,
 -O3 gave 39% ). The 2%  advantage of -O3 over -O2 above was largely due to
this test.

Conclusions 1: There is no reason not to turn on optimization, -O2 at
least,
the gains are significant.
Conclusion 2: chameneos-redux should be a case study to find out what
is going on at -O2

Disclaimer: The current benchmarks set don't cover all language features so
                   depending on your specific use case, your mileage may
vary :-)

The full details of the tests/timings can be found in the attached Excel
sheet.

Cheers,
Jafar