Hi Michael,

Always nice to hear from a fellow Washingtonian.

I am aware of various alarming things being done in Unicon before, but have not
seen code of the sort you describe.  It should be a great test of trap() and
the posix facilities. In grepping for possible interactions, I noticed that the
URL-reading code in the messaging facilities sets a SIGALRM handler to do a
timeout when it attempts to connect to a web server, but as long as you are not
simultaneously trying to open() things with mode "m" you should be OK.

Cheers,

Clint

MM> I'm writing a unicon program that needs to set a timer. Has anyone every
written a c loadfunc for setitimer and/or getitime so that the unicon program
can trap SIGALRM and know when the interval has expired. Thought I would check
to see if anyone had already done it before trying to build it.

  #include <sys/time.h>

       int getitimer(int which, struct itimerval *curr_value);
       int setitimer(int which, const struct itimerval *new_value,
                     struct itimerval *old_value);