> On 11 Apr 2017, at 18:26, Robert Heckendorn <captainmeer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What kind of optimizations does the Unicon compiler have?

This is a tough question (to give a short and comprehensive answer to) and I’m
not sure I’m the best person to attempt it, but I’ll give it a try.

If I had to pick out one example of the optimisations done by the compiler it
would be that it uses its analysis of the the entire program to reduce (or in
some cases eliminate altogether) unnecessary type checking and conversion
operations. It also does some classic ‘normal’ compiler optimisations like
peep-holing, strength reduction, re-use of temporarys, inlining of code, loop
unrolling etc..

But rather than listen to me: The best source of information we have available
to us is Part 2 of the implementation book, which contains Ken Walker’s
Doctoral thesis on the compiler.

Don