On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 04:31:41PM -0500, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
> Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but how do I go about patching the
> source for spreading?
>
> I have never applied a patch before, but the tutorials on the net seem to be
> little help
>
> I see your patch file, but running `patch -p0 < spreading.diff` from within
> the 1.3 or 1.4 source yields (not including asking for the filename):
> patching file inode.c
> Hunk #2 succeeded at 31 with fuzz 2.
> Hunk #3 FAILED at 117.
> 1 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file inode.c.rej
>
> patching file main.c
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 487.
> Hunk #2 FAILED at 586.
> 2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file main.c.rej
>
> patching file unionfs.h
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 160.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file unionfs.h.rej
> patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line

All that is saying is that patch was not sure how to patch the files.

If you look at the file it was patching, and the corresponding .orig and
.rej files, you can (most of the time) figure out what was supposed to get
patches and do it by hand.

Josef "Jeff" Sipek.

--
NT is to UNIX what a doughnut is to a particle accelerator.