Hi,

I'm Marco and I've been working and maintaining the unity stack for the
last years, I'm really happy to see the community finally jumping on this.

Unfortunately I won't have much time to dedicate to it, but indeed I can
help you guys in getting all the development done.

To begin, of course you need to build things... There's a jhbuild
project too [1], but I'm not sure it's still working since I've always
used a pretty raw approach to it.

Anyway, what you need is to install in your preferred prefix compiz,
unity, nux and bamf (if you don't want to use the archive ones)... These
are the main components, then all the lenses, but these are optional to
run unity itself for development. Unity has also some standalone UIs
that you can run to test in confined mode.

As said, I wasn't using jhbuild, but if you want to use my mode, just
create a prefix where to install all these things, use this tool I did
[1] for setting the various environment variables and just configure and
make the projects.
(you can also do all this in schroot, if you want to keep your
environment clean).
Something like:
 add-build-prefix ~/unity-build
 cd ~/unity-build
 bzr branch lp:unity
 cd unity
 sudo mk-build-deps -ir
 mkdir build; cd build
 cmake .. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/unity-build
 cd .. && make install

The same for all the projects you want include, then just run it with
  compiz --replace&

And enjoy it. :)

Also, since Unity is still a thing to be maintined in 16.04 (mostly), it
would be nice if you guys could look into fixes that we can eventually
backport too.

Other thing, I'd love to move unity to Git(hub), but please before you
create forks there or whatever allow me to create this project with all
the components we need to port.
Unfortunately, I won't have time for this for at least two weeks, but
you can still use bazaar to work in the mean time :)

Happy hacking,
cheers!

PS: I've also some work that I had in progress and that I could share
with you so that you could finish it :)

[1] https://launchpad.net/unity-jhbuild
[2] https://gist.github.com/3v1n0/c270e6583a22845e067f