On 6/10/07, Jeff Abrahamson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a Casablanca ceiling fan I need to pass on to someone else.

I was sitting in the Green Line Mennonite Coffee Shop and Gin Joint the
other night drowning my sorrows in a double Vanilla Chai Latte Con Molto
Passionato, with a cigarette glued to my lower lip. Unfortunately the Green
Line has adopted a no-smoking policy, so my Gaulois wasn't even lit, which
deepened my depression even more, which was already pretty deep after
observing the funky Village specimens drifting in and out, or, more
frequently, plopping themselves down at a table and busily pecking away at
their laptops. Don't know how those nice Goshen kids can turn a profit, with
all of these writers taking up table space for the price of a 3-buck
fairtrade cocktail or a hemp power bar.

At any rate, I was wallowing in gloomy thoughts of times past and feeling
pretty darn cynical when in walked this skinny blonde chick, must have been
all of 60 years old, but still there was something smart and stylish about
her. Despite the fact that she looked like just another wealthy real estate
agent or university president slumming it in the Village, there was
something familiar about her. Then it hit me.

"Of all the Mennonite coffee shops in all the towns in all the world, you
had to walk into mine," I remarked with an aching heart, but with all the
brio I could muster.

She pulled up a chair at my fake-marble topped table.

"Rosso, you've gotta help me. My son's bar mitzvah is scheduled for next
week, and the rebbe has just cancelled due to a leg which he broke skiing in
Aspen."

"Amy, do I look like a rabbi to you? You know I converted to Mennonitism in
sorrow after you left me for that schlemiel." I pointed my cigarette
meaningfully at the putz she had dragged in with her who was hovering
uncertainly at the bar.

She tried to gaze meaningfully into my eyes. I looked out the window at the
whores and drug addicts across the street in the park.

I sipped at my chai. Time went by. Finally, Amy got up and went to the bar
and spoke to the barrista, Sam.

"Play it Sam. Play "As Time Goes By".

The atrocious coffee shop muzak ground to a halt, and the old familiar
strains filled the air:

"You must remember this, a bris is just a bris...."

Disconcerted and considerably less than soigne, I abruptly knocked over my
table and carefronted the crusty barrista.

"Dammit, Sam, you know I told you never to play "As Time Goes By" again!"

Just then a bunch of Conservative Mennonites marched in, stood on the
tables, and began singing "Gott ist Die Liebe" in excruciating four-part
harmony.

I hustled Amy out onto the sidewalk and lit my Gaulois.

"OK kid. There's a new synagogue in town called Kol Tzedek. Can't vouch for
their theology, and they've got a lady rabbi, but maybe she can do the job
for you."

Just then a west-bound 34 trolley came looming out of the fog. I gave Amy a
token, and one for her schlemiel.

"48th and Baltimore. Tell em Rosso sent you."

She gave me that soulful gaze, and my heart broke into little pieces again.

I drained my chai. "Here's lookin at you, kid."

--
Ross Bender
http://rossbender.org