I admired Marianne.

I liked the way she:

        Led me to answers
                vs. imposed her version of the truth upon me.

        Gave time and energy, to friends and her causes,
                out of proportion to her means.

        Embraced a broad range of personality types,
                across race, class, education and income.

        Looked, listened, learned and than offered her opinions.

        Spoke of her children, with pride and love.

        She adored her daughter, and Al's memorial notice indicates
reciprocity.
        It is good to hear that Marianne was cared for, by her daughter,
in her final weeks.

        She loved her son.
        When my husband learned his company was sending him to Japan for
two weeks,
        Marianne sent the following note to me,
        "I hope your husband enjoys his trip to Japan.
        My son majored in Japanese and international relations in
college.
        He spent his sophomore year over there:
        living with two families in Kyoto;
        a couple of weeks traveling throughout the country,
        mostly by hitchhiking and public transportation;
        several months working for the Japan Times
        while living at a traditional Japanese inn in Tokyo; and
        3 months at a Japanese university.
        He had a blast!"
        Marianne's note reassured Larry and I and helped us feel
adventure and
        a share in the human experience of travel and extended horizons.

There have been many losses in the last year.
Some, like the passing of Duane Ball, are marked publicly with song,
dance and celebration and privately with enormous pain.
Others, like the trees cut down at SFDS are memorialized in protest and
alternative plantings.
Vandals, seem to be targeting property, and those losses are met with
resistance and a determination to catch the perpetrators and stop the
action.
New stories like the one about the child killed for causing a motorist a
small delay leave there mark on strangers.

Marianne, or her family, have chosen a venue that seems to suit her
quiet, forthright way.
        Saturday, July 28, at 2:00 PM at the
        Philadelphia Ethical Society
        1906 Rittenhouse Square
I will try to be there.
Meanwhile, I will shore up my good memories of Marianne, and remind
myself of my good fortune in being connected with her.
I am making a choice, to hear her name as a blessing and not a reminder
of
        regret, for not knowing or doing more during her passing, or
        the loss to me, Clark Park, our neighborhood or her family.

Rest in peace Marianne.
I'll keep your family, friends and admirers in my prayers.

Best!
Liz