On Saturday, I spent 7 hours volunteering for Cedar Park Neighbors, 5 of
them in Cedar Park.

At one table, a woman and child were selling magnificent homemade
greeting cards, for $1.00 per card.
Each card had a front layered with decorative paper, than a reprint of a
book plate of a famous writer, topped with a raffia bow.
On the inner left page was a something written by the pictured author.
The right side was blank, inviting a thoughtful greeting.

In a very brief meeting, I bought 5 of the cards, delivered in a
decorated brown paper 'lunch' bag.
I have spent much more time, contemplating the encounter and the cards,
since the purchase 2 days ago.

I marveled at a mother who could name her child
        "Sojourner"
I suspected it was more than just a nod at a heroine, but also
acknowledgement that our opportunity, to raise children well, is brief.
Most 'sojourn' in our homes only 18 years, just a fourth of a reasonable
life span.
I was grateful to see a child enjoying and sharing the wisdom of writers
dead before my first reading of their works.
It felt a reward for my own volunteering.
I had no part in the shaping of this lovely child, but perhaps providing
access to art activities will support other children to become artists,
or adults who encourage and support others in the arts.

I saw Karen volunteering at the park (along with Roger and Ross, two
other prolific contributors to this list).
Karen's thoughtful posts of Friday and today, have mingled with the words
on the cards that I choose.

Please share with me, the choices of the child Sojourner, encountered at
a neighborhood fair.

"I sell the shadow to support the substance."
        Sojourner Truth

"There is in the world
no force as the force
of a person determined to rise"
        W.E.B. DuBois

"Oh, some scholar! Oh some sailor!
Oh, some wise man from the skies!
Please to tell a little pilgrim
Where the place called morning lies!"
        Emily Dickinson

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself.
I am large, I contain multitudes."
        Walt Whitman

"Keep your eyes on the prize!"
        W.E.B. DuBois

So...
What helps us separate shadow from substance?
How do we enlighten ourselves and others?
What contradictions benefit the many?
Who are the forces for good?
Who holds a pilgrim in their soul?
Who do we report to?
Will any of the 'lurkers' share their questions with me (on or off list)?

All the best!
Liz