"A while ago I asked Brian Siano a list of some rather basic questions about the park permits changes, but he nor Tony West has yet responded to them. I'm told by Tony that if I ask him or Brian questions about the park that they will answer them, but it has not seemed to have been the case, at least so far"

 

Yea, that's been a long term problem.  It looks like they've been using their insider knowledge to make park groups think they are dependent on them for these two temporary waivers. For years, our community has either seen misinformation or avoidance tactics from them.  Since I continually asked for transparency and inclusion, they used the personal attacks to avoid the issues I raised.

 

And of course, they should have informed the community last year that these new rental fees were disclosed to them.  But they want to be in charge of everyone at their invitational only meetings, and that allowed these outside forces to claim community approval for taking our parks.

The seven years, between the first attempt to redesign the park and the recent redesign of park A, exemplifies how the FOCP leaders were used in the interest of secrecy.  A decade ago, the community turned out at PUBLIC meetings in force, to tell the FOCP/UCD to leave the park and trees alone.  UCD/CCD knew that they would need to circumvent any announced public meetings, as they prepared to go ahead with their unwanted unpopular park redesign plan.  It was the job of Tony, Brian, et al. to block real transparency and to block participation from park user groups, against the FOCP members wishes for all those years.

That seven year gap should demonstrate to our neighbors the long term neoliberal master planning, which cares nothing about the will of the people.   Likewise, it should shock no one that a new permit and rental system would be put in place with waivers for a year or two, so that the radical transformation of our parks and culture would avoid a massive uprising of citizens.  They want to destroy public education now and want to avoid citizens connecting these issues.  Divide and conquer baby, it's the neoliberal way.

It may be 1, 2, or 3 years before the people of Philadelphia feel the effects of the new park system, but then it will be sold as too late.  Every time this neighborhood has ever heard of a new UCD/CCD scheme, it is sold as too late, because the "community" already finished the process.

I know I can't do any more organizing about this until more people understand neoliberal economics and agenda.  I'll be called all sorts of names, and I won't be able to convince people to stand up with courage and fight for the rights of future generations.  Oh well... 

 

  

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Conrad
Sent: Jun 19, 2012 3:56 PM
To: Glenn moyer
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [UC] Park documents, update

Thanks Glenn.  


A while ago I asked Brian Siano a list of some rather basic questions about the park permits changes, but he nor Tony West has yet responded to them.  I'm told by Tony that if I ask him or Brian questions about the park that they will answer them, but it has not seemed to have been the case, at least so far.

Rick Conrad 

On Jun 19, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Glenn moyer wrote:

Neighbors,

I received the official powerpoint draft of  the new park permit changes. I have not yet received answers to clarifying questions. This will seem like good news for groups worried about permits this year. But unfortunately, this is clearly the transition year for the completion of park privatization, and the bait and switch tactic is designed to deflect mass opposition for the next year or two, as the fee for park use model is normalized.


It appears that nearly all park groups will receive waivers from most costs this year, and answers to my clarifying questions should reveal if there are hidden processes which will still pose a problem for some groups this year. 


Explanation: Nearly all park groups now fall under 3 different, extremely broad, categories of Friends groups. As for the insurance requirement, the city is currently asserting that it will maintain an umbrella policy at no cost for any groups without their own. We never got this info from the FOCP leaders!  (My clarifying questions seek to know if there is any process that negates these waivers for any groups currently). 


Right now, no Clark Park groups need sponsorship from the FOCP because they all fall under the vaguely defined, Friends groups. Unless the FOCP sponsors the refundable deposit, there is no reason for Park groups to fall under their control or "sponsorship." Likewise, groups would be well advised to keep there own relationships with the city government, so they remain highly visible in preparation for the coming struggle!


So why would the city create insanely high rental fees for parks, but give all special event groups waivers?  Doesn't that seem strange as the corporate media sets up increased cuts to the Parks budget this year? 


Well, that is where bait and switch allows the outside forces to establish this fee for park usage system first. Then, the current broad definition of Friends groups will be tightened to withdraw the waivers over the next couple of years. When individual groups face the skyrocketing fees in later years, their anger will be much easier to attack and dismiss.


(The New york Times has a good example of the privatization process unfolding in Rhode Island.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/opinion/nocera-when-alec-takes-over-your-town.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1340118033-+dtAgGPXdZ29/fGiqpY+Iw


When you become familiar with the multi-staged privatization process, you will see that the rental fee system is gently put in place first. By deflecting mass opposition now, the new system is normalized while the waivers are granted. When the waivers that people believe are permanent, go away, the small groups that are destroyed and angered by the deception will be shouted down as people wanting special privilidges from established policy.

You see, now is the only time the people of Philadelphia can rise up and defend the sanctity of free and open parks on principles! When small groups later cry foul, they will be told that they were silent as long as they got special waivers. The bait and switch tactic always uses the aggresive  "sour grapes" attacks at later times.

So while its clear that we can dance in the park and celebrate our waivers this year, the deferred bad news is completely obvious!  If this rental scheme actually came from Parks and Recreation rather than the outside winds of the plutocracy, like Alec, we would have permanent categories of Friends groups, and all groups would not be receiving waivers this year.

Officially, the city claims to be tweaking this new permit process this year. But no, it's quite clearly bait and switch that is happening. If people don't band together and reject all privatization, there is absolutely no hope for our park culture past the current year.


 

Today's paper has part of the ongoing crisis set-up.  Parks are going to have their budget cut this year, despite these hopeful propaganda pieces.  This is how a crisis is massaged with corporate media cooperation, to set up the park rental fees next year.


 

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/20120619_City_parks_need_funds_to_avoid_shabbiness.html


 






 

---- You are receiving this because you are subscribed to the list named "UnivCity." To unsubscribe or for archive information, see .

---- You are receiving this because you are subscribed to the list named "UnivCity." To unsubscribe or for archive information, see .

Reply via email to