No, I'm not planning to donate $650,000 to some neighborhood group for
worthwhile causes.

But I've heard that UCD is going to spend this much money on a project
somehow connected with the subway portal at 40th & Baltimore.

I can't help but believe the community could use this large amount of money
 for something more worthwhile. Certainly, if Penn and the VA think that an
 enhanced portal would be valuable to them, they can pay for it. Or, if
SEPTA  officials think such a project will increase use of the subway-surface
lines,  they can pay for it.

Anybody have any ideas about a better use for $650,000?
    *   Improvements at the Lea, Wilson, and/or Powel schools?
    *   Street tree care -- pruning what we've got and planting new
saplings?
    *   Fixing the new corner curb ramps where big pools of water collect
whenever  it rains?
    *   Scholarships for West Philly High grads to attend Community College
or  enroll in a trade school?
    *   A fund to partially reimburse property owners to fix their uneven
and  broken sidewalks?
    *   Less exorbitant fees for parking close to Penn so suburbanites
don't fill  all the non-permitted spaces in front of our homes so residents and
their  guests don't have to keep driving around looking for spaces for their
own  cars?
    *   Other?

Alan Krigman
KRF Management, ICON/Information  Concepts Inc
211 S 45th St, Philadelphia PA 19104-2918
215-349-6500, fax  215-349-6502
krf...@aol.com or  al.krig...@krf.icodat.com