Just put R1 on my Wandboard. Web interface for WLAN-configuration didn't
seem to do what it needed to do (yes, I did use the "Save and
reboot"-button) but I used Putty to ssh in and checked if the settings
were correctly applied. ESSID & WPA-PSK key were present, so I did what
you describe in the very first post (ifdown + ifup) and WLAN is working
now.
Had to google around a bit to find how to mount my Windows share to
actually get some music into the server, but now it's happily scanning,
Squeezelite is visible on my network and sees both LMS servers, my other
players also see the Wandboard server.
So far so good :) All in all a painless installation procedure, well
within reach of this Linux almost illiterate ;)
If you need localisation to Dutch or French, I volunteer.