Hello Greg,

maybe that's the main problem.
Perhaps I should mention that there are serveral clones of this type of
7.1 USB sound card I'm using.

Logilink
https://amzn.com/B003YFVN3Q
Sweex
https://amzn.com/B00265L1S2
and Sewell
https://amzn.com/B004Y0ERRO

are only three of them that are known to me. So it's quite probable that
some people are using this hardware - more likely with their laptops
than with their raspberries ;)
And as I wrote in my previous posts it can be done and has been done in
other linux distributions (debian and minibian tested by myself).

The main points I would like to figure out: Is the sound card handling
the same as in a standard debian setup, or where's the difference? Is it
possible to use the dmix plugin together with the "channels" option in
piCorePlayer's asound.conf for a working setup?

regards
mff