Ok, time to document things:*

To stop lircd*
-sudo modprobe lircd
sudo kill $(pidof lircd)-

I want to use a MCE USB IR receiver as the RPi is buried behind some
cabinet doors.

I looked in the /dev/ directory and noticed LIRC0 AND LIRC1 listed.  If
I unplug the USB IR device, LIRC1 disappears.  So I now know my device
name.

Lets test:
-sudo mode2 -d /dev/lirc1-

When I press keys on any remote I see responses on the screen.  Cool.

Now lets test this with lircd:

First terminal window:
-sudo lircd -n -d /dev/lirc1-

This opens lircd but does not send it to background.  This is a great
trick to see if lircd is crashing due to a configuration issue.  If
lircd has an issue, you will see the program kick out and give some
troubleshooting text.

Open a 2nd terminal windows to the RPi
Run:
-irw-

I can now see key presses being read properly by lircd.

Cool.

Now the only uncool part?  You can't set the device in the picoreplayer
LIRC configuration page to use LIRC1.   The only two acceptable inputs
are LIRC0 and HIDRAW1.  Dang.  So close.

I can't find a hardware.conf file related to lircd to force it to use
lirc1.

Anyone have an idea what file I need to edit to force lircd to use
lirc1?