DJanGo wrote:
> yapp IMHO fake something like a mac address is fake / in harder words
> bullsh1t if there is only a single squeezelitesession on a hardware
> involved.
Strong words, friend ;)

The issue is a little confusing, I have to admit:
1 - There are people who need multiple instances
2 - There are people want to force the player to a specific identity, a
good reason for that would be to retain player preferences when swapping
hardware. (I've used active/backup wifi+ether bonding on a Pi player
once or twice, it's funnier than useful, but it also makes a strong case
for using option "-m")
3 - There is a very specific condition that can happen in squeezelite:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107352-Announce-piCorePlayer-3-20&p=890873&viewfull=1#post890873
(you can backtrack to the beginning of the conversation, it is short.)

In my case, I use Pi 3s as pCP players. Wifi is disabled. I use a single
instance of Squeezelite. Ok, my tc archive "is a little large" but
really I don't think it has anything to do with the issue. The MAC
address of the network interface is never a problem, my players always
get a DHCP lease. But this takes a few seconds (10 secs?)
So I get this problem: Squeezelite has started before networking has
settled, it doesn't know what player ID to report, so it reports a nil
ID.
And "-m" solves it.

(-m is a good option. I got a bad rap when people started "recycling"
slimdevices MACs to software players and put unwarranted load over
mysb.com, but it does have legitimate uses.)

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.