I have been reading the different suggestions with great interest.

There are man ways to skin this particular cat indeed. :-)

The main lesson is that it isn't as straight-forward as I thought it
would be, as evidenced by all the replies, too.

I have decided to create an entirely new VM over the holidays using some
of the advice in here. Hopefully that makes the VM more versatile.

Happy Holidays, Linux brethren :-)

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu
16.04 + LMS 7.9
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- NAD M22 Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->- Totem
Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem
DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
Computer audio: workstation --USB->- audioengine D1 -> Grado
PS500e/Shure 1540