Remember when your SB player could channel LAN access from wifi over to
its ethernet port?

Recently I needed a Pi3 that would drop in any LAN and start OpenVPN
bridging with a remote server. The server used an anonymous bridge to
prevent any risk of subnet clash. The Pi3 client was running piCore (was
it v. 9.0.3?)

Over at the Raspberry Pi forums there are waves of people wanting to
bridge their LAN through a Pi 3 connected over wifi. Tired of endlessly
repeating "you can't do that", I decided to 'post a setup'
(https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=204361) that
would make use of an anonymous bridge and OpenVPN to tunnel an L2 bridge
over the wifi link.
In other words, a virtual 2-port switch: one port plugged to the main
LAN, the other plugged to a remote physical segment, and a wifi client
connection as switching fabric (ouch!)

The setup I posted uses Raspbian on the Pi, but I know for a fact it
works with piCore, hence piCorePlayer. For the server side I believe any
platform capable of bridging and running OpenVPN will do, e.g. your LMS
server machine. While testing for robustness and latency I did put an
SB3 behind the Pi and sync it with other LAN players. That worked nicely
indeed, thanks to LMS and slimproto.
On the Pi the openvpn process uses little CPU, system load averages to
0.7 under heavy use (multiple video streams+music).
So perhaps this setup could be of use to some here.

And if you're thinking "Now, why would I do that?", let me just say it's
one of those things: if you have to ask, it's not for you. I'm not doing
that either ;)

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.