chill wrote:
> I've spent the morning bashing my head against a brick wall with
> TinyCore, and have got precisely nowhere.  Their approach seems to be
> that you have to make a bootable CD to install from (all very
> 'naughties' - CD drives are disappearing fast!), from which you can make
> a bootable USB (or maybe I've misunderstood).  It doesn't seem
> straightforward to make a bootable USB out of the CD .ISO image.  So I
> dug out an old USB CD drive to use for burning and booting, but I can't
> get either of two Macbooks, or the Joggler, or an MS Surface to boot
> from any of the CDs I've made, nor indeed any of the USB sticks that
> I've tried to make.  And I've made the CDs and USBs using various
> software on the Macs and the Surface.  I think it's because the ISO
> files they distribute are ISOHYBRIDs - it would be good if there was a
> normal .img.tz instead.

TinyCore can be challenging but the benefit of minimal storage
requirements and resilience to power cuts are huge.

There is another similiar project 'Alpine Linux'
(https://alpinelinux.org/) which may be a better option.  It appears to
be actively developed unlike TinyCore.

One another note. If you plan to try to reuse some of the additional
squeezeplay applets from the birdsonawire version, you'll need to build
jivelite using lua 5.1.5 instead of jitlua 2.0.5.  That's what I've done
for the jivelite used in picoreplayer, as the language differences
between the two are just enough to render the two incompatible.  I can
help you with that if needed.

Ralphy

*1*-Touch, *5*-Classics, *3*-Booms, *1*-UE Radio
'Squeezebox client builds'
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/) 'donations'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=LL5P6365KQEXN&lc=CA&item_name=Squeezebox%20client%20builds&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted)
always appreciated.