I have an old box running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and what seems like
Squeezebox Server 7.8.1  (despite the fact that the web interface says
there is a new version 7.8.1 available).  The info page says 7.8.1
though.

Anyway, I am thinking I should at some point push this to SBS 7.9.x but
I don't know how best to uninstall 7.8.1, leaving configurations and
plugins etc in place for the 7.9.2 install.

I welcome any help that might be offered.

(I would consider upgrading the Ubuntu but won't if I don't need to
[read don't want to] - it acts as a SBS and a file server for some other
machines quite happily).

Thanks,

Tom S.