paul- wrote:
> I'm far from an audio transport expert.   So hopefully I explained it
> correctly.   But I know that I2S data stream is subject to the clock
> rate of the RPI, which is why quite a few HAT products try to "re-clock"
> the incoming data.
>
> All I know is that I can't hear the difference.  lol.

As far as I can see in the wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%C2%B2S)
and the specs for the PCM5122 DAC theres no reason why I2S cannot be
"BitPerfect"

I2S is a transport and I cannot see why it cannot deliver a digital
signal unchanged from source

It maybe as Paul says, the Pi but I think not

Anyway like Paul I'm not likely to detect the LSB of a 24bit signal is
missing !

Jeff

*Players:* SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
*Server:* LMS Version:  Latest Nightly on Centos 8.0 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3
on Dell T320
*Plugins:*
AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player
Groups
*Remotes:* iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
*Music:* 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

*Want a webapp ?* See
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104305-Webapp-for-LMS