I've installed LMS 7.9.3, added a bit of music to a third partition on
the USB stick, added Spotty and configured DSTM, and we're away.  It's a
nice little stand-alone server/player/controller.

I think an applet to toggle LMS will be straightforward, but I doubt
that most people would want to actually toggle it in normal use - more
likely they'd want to control whether or not it starts at boot - i.e. if
it's part of the Joggler image, but I have an LMS server running
elsewhere, then I wouldn't want the Joggler version to start.  So the
applet could set a flag, but I don't know how to start the service at
boot depending on the status of that flag.  Any ideas?