I have an old TP-Link 3600 router, installed a recent OpenWRT (19.07)
and attached a Behringer UCA 202 USB audio interface.
Squeezelite is in the OpenWRT's repo.

opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-audio
opkg install squeezelite-full

I added
option server_addr 'myLMSip'
in
/etc/config/squeezelite

Works like a charm. Squeezelite ist automatically started after boot.
CPU load is at about 7 to 10%.

Since the Behringer UCA 202 (still available for about 30 EUR) has
TOSLink I use the high quality DAC of my MOTU UltraLite AVB.

I tried a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 1st gen instead of the Behringer and
wasn't satisfied. I couldn't find any parms that provide reliable,
crackle-free playback. Maybe the Scarlett's power consumption is a bit
high. It's bus powered.