This might be completely unhelpful as it is a "works for me" on
different hardware. Anyways, curious as I am I checked alsamixer for my
DAC (micromega mydac) on a separate system and got the same bars as the
OP. I plugged it into a piCore player on a rPi3+ and got the same four
bars, aplay output is also similar.

To get sound through the DAC all I did was change output device to USB
audio, reboot and then turn off build in audio and reboot. That was it!
I did not have to change any other values, my "Output settings" is blank
and "ALSA settings" 80, 4, blank, 1, blank.

Sorry OP if you are still trying to get this working and have tried the
default values.