I've been continuing to fiddle around with this, and have it pretty much
finished now.  I've updated the script quite a bit to make it more
native to LMS (e.g. reading the track info from LMS vs. from ALSA as it
was before), reading all the info from LMS in one go rather than loads
of separate calls, pick up if volume is 100% and if so, don't show it,
made some of the other calls more native etc.

I'd like to thank @Steve Agnew for his help testing things and tidying
up the readme I created.  If be happy to share the files with anyone
that wants them.  All in all, I'm really happy with the DAC now and I
think it's a good high-er end addition to the family.

pete S