I don’t know which of the instructions in the link I should look at.

You'd have to download the contents of https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/tree/public/8.3/CPAN, then run the buildme.sh script. See https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/blob/public/8.3/CPAN/README.md.

Is there an older/other version of LMS I should consider or a
combination of LMS and Perl that would work?

The problem is the use of a very recent distribution with a rather old system. I no longer build 32 bit binaries for recent Perl versions, as there are only very few users.