I wanted something similar and came up with a "ghetto style solution"
;-) using the screensaver function for displaying a cassette image, when
the player is not in use. This can be used for several images as a
screen show as well.

I put one of my players with a 3,5" display into a stripped mid size
technics case and another one into a Kenwood Tape Deck I picked out of a
recycling box. Using knobs and dials would be nice, but I didn't manage
(so far ;-)) how to do that. I was thinking of using an USB game
controller for basic functions like play, stop, skip.