That is what I would like to do too. But in my case I already had a
couple iPods sitting around collecting dust.

It seems that there is a way to do this. I do not have the specific web
link in front of me but to summarize my understanding what is needed is
a copy of the old software (like iPeng) that works on the target iOS
(iOS 6 in my case.) It didn't sound too tricky to share the file for the
App.Then an old version of iTunes that still has the selection for
"Apps" is needed to install onto the device. It was noted that it may be
tricky to install the old version of iTunes on the PC or Mac. Maybe it
is a question of not being able to run on a more modern OS?

In any case would anybody have files for old versions of Squeezebox
apps? I would even pay iPeng themselves what it normally costs if they
could share the files with me.