ok, so in the end I turned off the onboard BT and added a BT dongle...
no more stuttering...

One question left, I expected to set Squeezelite Audio output device
settings to Bluetooth Audio, but it's not in the drop down list.

However, everything is working nicely, so who cares...

Madamina, il catalogo รจ questo... town: Musical Fidelity Dr.Thomas,
Preamp II, Infinity 7K, Squeezebox Classic (2), 2 Squeezelite bt on
Raspi, Raspberry Pi 2 with HiFiBerry, Ubuntu 18.4 LTS server
country: Musical Fidelity A-5, Infinity Renaissance 90, Musical Fidelity
A120, Sonus Faber Concertino, Squeezebox Classic, SB Touch, Raspberry Pi
2 with HiFiBerry, Raspberry Pi Zero-w bt, Raspberry Pi 3 server with
Debian Jessie on Arm7