Okay -- hdmi wasn't plugged in securely, so iec958:CARD=vc4hdmi,DEV=0
does get squeezelite running, however still no sound.

Examining the /etc/asound.conf (in diagnostics) there is no vc4hdmi,
just headphones:

  # default - Generated by piCorePlayer
  pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
  }

  pcm.pcpinput {
  type hw
  card Headphones
  device 0
  }

  #---ALSA EQ Below--------
  pcm.sound_device {
  type plug
  slave.pcm {
  type hw
  card Headphones
  device 0
  }
  }

  ctl.equal {
  type equal;
  controls "/home/tc/.alsaequal.bin"
  library "/usr/local/lib/ladspa/caps.so"
  }

  pcm.plugequal {
  type equal;
  slave.pcm "sound_device";
  controls "/home/tc/.alsaequal.bin"
  library "/usr/local/lib/ladspa/caps.so"
  }

  pcm.equal {
  type plug;
  slave.pcm plugequal;
  }

I feel like I should have at least something in alsa for card1.  But it
has been a while since I've configured alsa manually.

  *** Scanning for recording devices ***

  Card 0, ID `Headphones', name `bcm2835 Headphones'

  Card 1, ID `vc4hdmi', name `vc4-hdmi'

What information would y'all like to see?