The Judaizing Calvin
by Aegidius Hunnius
translated by Paul A. Rydecki

In The Judaizing Calvin, Lutheran theologian Aegidius Hunnius (1550–1603)
analyzes the writings of John Calvin, the chief teacher of the Reformed Church,
and documents a persistent pattern of interpretation in Calvin which undermines
the fundamental teachings of the New Testament concerning Christ Jesus. Hunnius
contends that Calvin was a "judaizing" theologian—one who favored a Rabbinic
Jewish interpretation of Old Testament prophecies—and that Calvin's
interpretations undermined the New Testament teachings concerning the
Incarnation, the doctrine of the Trinity, and the death, resurrection and
ascension of Jesus. Hunnius provides the reader with a passionate and
substantial refutation of Calvin's flawed interpretations, and upholds the
apostolic understanding of the connection between Old Testament Messianic
prophecy and the New Testament fulfillment of those prophecies.
        As Hunnius wrote in his Introduction: “But (oh, the pain and the
shame!) how true it is that, by means of disgraceful corruptions, [Calvin] has,
to his ruin and the ruin of others, horribly twisted the Holy Scriptures from
their genuine sense into something else, as Peter says about this kind of men.
And in order that I may cause your faith to grow in this matter (if you are
still teachable and curable)—Look! I shall offer several testimonies that
Calvin, that champion of yours (not of mine), has hammered upon in order to
blunt them into the treachery of Jewish unbelief and Arian wickedness, and has
rendered them useless. And in order to ensure that the most plentiful proof is
provided for such a weighty matter, it is necessary to demonstrate those
corruptions mentioned above, by which he has enveloped the clearest prophecies
of the Prophets regarding the Messiah in Jewish perversions. Indeed, not only
has he most highly despised and ridiculed the pious interpretations of Church
writers, both ancient and recent, but he has not shrunk back from wickedly
mocking even the most sacred explanations of the Evangelists and Apostles
themselves. In the end, if I shall have failed to demonstrate anything fully,
especially where I shall have touched on those prophecies of the Prophets (as I
mentioned), I would not want any faith to be placed in me ever afterwards in
this matter. Now, that we may maintain some order— first, we shall produce
those testimonies of Holy Scripture that contain the explanation of the highest
pinnacles of heavenly doctrine regarding the God who is One and Triune, and
regarding the eternal deity of Christ and the Holy Spirit. It will be seen how
Calvin has entangled these in the thistles of his artifices. From there, we
shall examine the oracles of the holy Prophets concerning the Messiah—how
Calvin has adulterated these into a farce of the Christian religion, so that
they thoroughly lose all their force and value for proving anything, for as
much as those interpretations are thought to be truly appropriate.”

Paperback • 114 Pages • ISBN 1891469517 • $9.99
To order The Judaizing Calvin through Amazon, use this link:
http://amzn.com/1891469517 <http://amzn.com/1891469517>

Rt. Rev. James Heiser, M.Div., S.T.M.
Repristination Press
P.O. Box 173
Bynum, Texas 76631
www.repristinationpress.com
hunn...@mac.com

  + Information for Confess And Teach For Unity's eList Subscribers +

Posts to this list are sent by/through the Confess and Teach For Unity List
Administrator at his sole discretion; you are receiving them because you are
*or have been* a subscriber to one or more email lists run by Confess and Teach
for Unity (CAT41.org). If you are no longer on any CAT 41 list and do not wish
to receive such periodic mailings regarding new mail lists and other services,
please click the 'unsubscribe link'.

NOTE: if you are on a CAT 41 list or resubscribe to any CAT 41 list, you will
be re-added to this list, as this list is the venue for necessary system
notices, etc. Whatever 'advertising' or reviews of sound, Lutheran products are
provided here are what we do for free, instead of making money off of ads that
are offensive, etc., as other 'Lutheran' services do.]

Unless otherwise noted, posts from this list may be forwarded and/or
republished via other media, provided they are not altered and list
subscription information is included.

     + + + Confess and Teach for Unity <http://www.CAT41.org> + + +