Updates and more ideas for uPortal skin CSS:

1. Thanks Jen for completing the work to combine and rename the skin CSS files
(http://www.ja-sig.org/issues/browse/UP-2389). The simplicity is fantastic.

2. As a follow-up I completed UP-2525
(http://www.ja-sig.org/issues/browse/UP-2525) to restructure and clean up the
Ivy skin.

While I was working with the skins, these thoughts occurred to me and I would
like to offer them as suggestions:

3. It would be great to use Fluid Skinning System themes "as-is" and (like all
the other 3rd party stuff) keep them separate. This would make it easier to
upgrade FSS, and we could hopefully see more efficiency, especially as we hope
to move more of the portlet CSS into FSS. This keep the portal.css file
simpler, though in the near-term their might still be a fair number of
overrides to the FSS theme. We can include the FSS themes on the Resource
Server with the rest of the Fluid files, and if necessary, a skin could create
a local FSS theme if needed. I believe that with the new aggregator, we can
simply call the FSS theme CSS in skin.xml, then remove the FSS theme CSS from
portlet.css, which would then only contain FSS overrides.

4. If #3 is accomplished, I think we could quickly generate a couple more
default skins to ship with uPortal based off of the exisiting FSS themes (coal,
mist, rust, high-contrast), which would be a nice addition.

I know it is getting late in the release cycle to add this additional change
(#3), but I believe it could be accomplished quickly.

Gary Thompson
User Experience Leader
Unicon | www.unicon.net

--