Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Hi again,
>       There have been a flurry of emails passed internal dev lists,
> and I believe (given past experience with dbus) there is some
> confusion as to what the role is of dbus in the upstart project.
>       So, I was wondering if someone could briefly discuss from a
> high-level what dbus is going to do within upstart, or point me to [a
> series of] link[s] with more information about the architectural
> interfacing between upstart, dbus, and monitored processes.
> Thanks,
> -Garrett

DBus is used to give instructions to upstart (start this, stop that) and
get information from it (this is now running. This has stopped).

The DBus interface can be accessed in one of 2 ways. One is actually
running the dbus daemon, and accessing the com.ubuntu.Upstart object on
the system bus. The other is by connecting directly to upstart through
the /com/ubuntu/Upstart unix-domain socket and communicating in DBus
protocol.

--CJD