On 06/17/2009 05:33 PM, Scott James Remnant wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 15:20 -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:

This kind of "boot essential" job has been speculated for a while, but
no design for it has come forwards.

Upstart's design does inherently mean that services may simply not be
started, and that's not considered an error condition.

The right way IMHO is to have a service/state called "system_normal"
or what have you, which depends on everything that should be running
every day. When that service is not running, there's a problem. If we
have cron functionality and inverted dependencies, we have everything
we need:

That's certainly the simplest way to do it, though what would look to
see whether that service is running or not (to report the problem) and
how often would it check/how long after boot? :)

Scott
The way its worded in my example the check would happen 1 minute after startup, and never again. An alternative would be a "settled" event, which would occur every time the state machine stops transitioning for a moment.