Hey Folks,

I've been experimenting with EC2 and recent "Amazon Linux" images that use
Upstart.  I'd like to configure a service to start with dropped privileges,
but there's no start-stop-daemon on there and I've been having trouble
getting the su examples from the cookbook to work.

Here's a simple example:

--snip--
respawn
respawn limit 15 5

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel[06]
#expect fork

exec su -c '/bin/sleep 1000' ec2-user
--snip--

This will start fine, and Upstart will follow the pid of su, and an
"initctl stop"  will kill the process fine.. but then leave the terminal
containing initctl hung.

If I kill the initctl, Upstart then goes into a broken state where it hangs
on all start/stop requests until I send upstart itself a SIGTERM.  If I
uncomment "expect fork", I get the exact same behavior and breakage except
that it tracks the pid of the sleep process rather than the su process.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--adam