Hi Thomas,

Have you seen the following?

- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/upstart-devel/2014-February/003036.html
- https://github.com/pivotalsoftware/newrelic_pivotal_agent (includes an
example upstart job configuration file)

It appears that the plugin is forking more than twice which is why you are
experiencing the issues. This may be a bug in the plugin, or possibly it is
spawning off multiple "worker processes" once it has finished initialising.
If the latter, ideally, it would send itself SIGSTOP when ready which would
allow the upstart job to specify 'expect stop' (see
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/#expect-stop).

Regards,

James.

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to upstart and having quite a bit of trouble debugging a script
> that I am trying to write that will manage Nginx's New Relic Plugin.
>
> I believe the issue is that Upstart is tracking the wrong PID. When I
> start the process with `initctl start nginx-nr-agent` the process starts
> and a PID is assigned - for example 27131.
>
> Then when I check using ps aux, I see the PID for that process I just
> started has incremented by 3 - i.e. 27134.
>
> I have `expect daemon`, but from what I understand expect daemon only
> works if the process forks twice.
>
> Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Thomas Berry
> Web: thomasberry.ca